Friday, August 28, 2009

Sophia's Birthday Doll

Sophia's Doll and Quilt

I made this back in June for my niece, but its such a neat project I wanted to point it out. It is entirely hand sewn which makes it great for car trips, sitting in front of the tv, waiting for appointments, etc. The pattern is from The Purl Bee. It's made completely from felt, which is really nice to work with-no raveling or seam allowances to worry about.

Now, I did not buy the felt from Purl.com. They have 100% wool felt that would have been about $80 to buy all I needed for this doll. Instead I looked around and found 70/30 wool/polyester blend at Fabric Depot. I bought 1/2 yard of the color for the body and dress and 1/4 yard of the other colors. I'm pretty sure I can get a second doll out of those materials as well. I bought the materials (felt, stuffing, upholstery thread, and dmc floss) during a 30% off sale so in total I spent around $10.

The one negative comment I have about the pattern is that they tell you to use a doll making needle for sewing it together. Don't. The only time you will need it is when you attach the legs to the body. Otherwise the needle is so thick it shreds the edges of the felt and your seams will not want to stay together. I ended up satin stitching several areas where this occurred. After I switched to a regular needle I was fine.

There's a whole group of the dolls here.

No comments:

Post a Comment