Saturday, August 15, 2009

VOGUE

So I did it. I sewed some clothes. It wasn't too hard. I found this "easy" vogue pattern a couple of months ago while on sale and stashed it away. It reminded me of my favorite jcrew shirt that is falling apart and I thought,"Hey why don't I make one?"

I used an orange and white quilting weight cotton that I had bought to make a dress with but I had JUST ENOUGH to cut the shirt out. Seriously, this pattern eats up some material. Mostly because the top yoke pieces, you get to cut two of each out and use one on the inside of the shirt sort of like a lining.

Enough words. Here it is.
photo.jpg
(This is the only mirror in our house. Can you believe that? I have to get on finding a full length mirror so you don't have to look at the bad lighting not helped by the yellow/gold hideous wallpaper dungeon that is our bathroom)

I spared you the side view. Basically its big. REALLY big. I feel like I should be six months pregnant wearing this shirt--but I'm not. I should have known. That jcrew shirt I've worn to death is an extra small. I usually wear a medium. I followed the pattern's measurements and this is the size I need, but as you can see I could fit another person in that torso area. I even made the pattern corrections to make it a petite while I was sewing.

What to do? I could tear apart the bottom from the yoke and hack three inches off each side but I'm afraid that will mess with the shape too much. Heaven knows I'm not skilled enough to add my own darts or other fancy schmancy sewing tricks yet. But then I had an idea...

photo.jpg

Belt it.

I don't own a cute wide belt but I think you can get the picture. I have the entire length of fabric left on each edge after cutting the top out that I can use to make one. Real belt buckle kits are hard to find--not those ribbon belt loops. I think I'll invest in some heavy duty snaps and make a custom belt to match, maybe some belt loops? What do you think? Tear it apart or belt? Or, you know, put it away and if I'm ever six months pregnant pull it out then :)

No comments:

Post a Comment