Wednesday, September 16, 2009

What I've been doing

Four days, four days gone. All because of this.

Evil Pattern

Oh you may look innocent simplicity vintage pattern 8033, but I've seen your ugly side and I have evidence. I chose pattern view A-the sleeveless dress. Cute simple A-line. Materials accounted for: 3 yards main fabric, 3 yards lining, 22in invisible zipper, and thread. What do you get after slaving over washing, ironing, cutting, and sewing? Let's see...

Evil Dress


Oh the horror!
Photos courtesy of the iphone. Which, in low light 10pm "oh my word I have to email these to my mom on the west coast I need help!" panic did not turn out great. But you see what I'm talking about, right? That's a whole lot of fabric on a petite frame batman. "But it's not belted?" you say. Well you're right. Let's give the dress the benefit of the doubt and show it similar to the photo on the pattern cover.


Evil Dress

See?! Not so innocent are we dress. Although...I wonder how the husband feels about being Peter Pan for Halloween? So what to do? Obviously it would look better a little more like this:


Evil Dress

It's time to lay her flat, say a prayer and cut. I thought I had her beat. I won! A dress, that fits, how simple simplicity 8033. Lower V neck, new armholes, zipper removed, seams resewn shut.

But she wasn't done fighting yet. This is what was handed to me:


and the dress dies

Something went askew here. Bunching folds just aren't cute. I tore out (all that work!) the side seam to let it "fall" where it wanted to, hopefully, removing the folds. But, that didn't work. Actually, it got worse so this dress found a new home in a bag, put in a box, all the way in the other room where we can enjoy some time apart. Perhaps someday we'll meet again and I will win. Whether its a dress or a skirt Simplicity 8033 something will be salvaged from you.


Evil Dress

Until next time dress...

1 comment:

  1. I am not quite sure what to say about that dress. The pattern and the concept is great, it just didn't turn out well! Maybe trying a differnt kind of fabric? A knit perhaps? I do like the fabric you chose, it could become a great skirt! (something business like - maybe a pencil skirt? Cute little slit in the back?)

    ReplyDelete